Mum's urgent warning after toddler badly burned by hot kitchen tiles: 'He just stood there and screamed'

Picture: Facebook
Picture: Facebook 

A toddler walking around barefoot at home is something most of us wouldn't give a second thought to.

But one mum has urged us to be more cautious, after her son Louie suffered a bad burn?after walking on kitchen tiles heated by the sun.

Nurse Natasha Trevethan?said the tiles had become uncharacteristically hot during?Britain's current heatwave, which has seen the country grapple with 30'C temperatures.

While that may be a mild summer's day by Australian standards, the higher than average temps have caught many Brits by surprise, including Trevethan, who posted a warning to Facebook sharing the family's?harrowing experience.?

Photos posted to her account show the 22-month-old's feet were burned red raw by the tiles, which took the skin of the pad of one foot.

"There was no way we would ever have thought this could be a result of our kitchen floor! At 22-months-old he didn't have the reflexes to hop off the hot tiles. He just stood there and screamed until I could get to him and scoop him up,"?Trevethan wrote.

"I would hate for this to happen to anyone else's baby."

Another photo shows the despondent looking toddler wearing special burns socks as they drive home from the hospital.?

Advertisement

Many Facebook users shared their shock at the severity of the burns, and reassuring the mum it wasn't her fault.?

"Oh no!! What a shock I would have never of thought that would happen! Hope he heals quickly," said one.?"That's so awful and amazing for flagging I would never have thought about this. Hope he's doing well," added another.

According to the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP), approximately 3,800 people present to hospital emergency departments in Victoria alone each year seeking treatment for minor burns (burns that affect less than 10 per cent of the body in adults, five per cent in children).?

Children account for one third of these, though they note many more go directly to their GP for treatment.