Mum's urgent warning after rescuing toddler from full bath in the middle of the night: 'Don't underestimate your children'

Picture: Facebook
Picture: Facebook 

,A mum has shared a 'deeply traumatising' experience after her toddler awoke in the middle of the night and ran himself a bath.

Mum of two Illi?has told how she was only alerted to the near tragedy because her eldest son woke up and heard his little brother.

Sharing her story on the baby and child first aid group CPR Kids Facebook page, she warned other parents not to take their toddler's limitations for granted, saying they were often capable of things we'd never imagine.?

"At 4am our four-year-old son came running down to our bedroom shouting that his brother was in the bath and needed urgent help," Illi?begins.?

"We found our cheeky, adventurous two-year-old (Archie) in the bath fully clothed with nappy and everything on. He had pulled up a stool to climb in (he's never climbed in on his own before), put the plug in, turned the tap on and the bath was overflowing and the bathroom was flooding."

What she found most traumatising, she said, was that it appeared Archie had been trying to climb out for a while, saying when she found him he was on his knees, falling asleep in the water.

"I just can't believe what a close call this was.?This situation is not something I ever would of thought of and it's led me to think what other serious dangers are there that his little two-year-old mind thinks of but I definitely haven't," she continued.

"I'm so incredibly grateful my four-year-old woke up as we would never have heard (our room is at the other end of the house) our four-year-old is such a heavy sleeper too so it's honestly a miracle he woke up."

Advertisement

Archie was given the all clear after being checked over by doctors, but the mum warned a few more minutes and it could have been a different outcome.?

She's now installed a lock on the bathroom door, keeps the plug in a locked cupboard and put a sensor alarm on Archie's door. But said she wanted to share the incident to raise awareness of how easily things can happen.

"I hope this story can educate other parents because honestly I consider myself to be REALLY on top of child safety, every effort is taken to ensure the safety of our kids at all times but I honestly just never thought of locking away the plug."

Her story shocked many parents who admitted it was something they'd never considered either.

"I can only imagine how distressing this must have been. Thank you for the wake up call. Five?kids in and I've never thought about this. Our plug will be finding a new home," said one.

"Removing the stool from our bathroom as we speak. Thanks for sharing this scary but real story," added another.

"Omg I got goosebumps and chills reading this I'm so glad your little man is OK," said another.