ChicMe WW

Girl hospitalised after life-threatening danger found inside favourite toy

By Georgia Weir|

Katie Jacobsen had no idea her daughter's favourite toy dolls contained a life-threatening danger.

The US mum took to Facebook to share her family's terrifying ordeal and warn other parents.?She explained it was her daughter Maggie's birthday and the family were having dinner at home.

"Maggie comes over to me and points at her mouth and says 'I just swallowed that.'"

"Just swallowed what?" Jacobsen asked.?"That shiny thing, " her young daughter said.?

"So I look around for what she could be talking about and I see a ... doll on the table. Levi is sitting there too. His eyes get big and he says. 'I just took one of those out.'"

READ MORE: Why mum will give birth to the same baby twice

Kristie Jacobsen's young daughter swallowed a button battery that came out of the leg of her doll. (Facebook)

After realising the little girl had swallowed a button battery, the family prepared to go to hospital. Older daughter Eva told her parents that Google had suggested eating honey after swallowing a battery.?

"When they x-rayed her, sure enough there is a battery but it has slid right down to her stomach where it is less dangerous. They kept her overnight with plans to possibly retrieve the battery in the morning," Jacobson wrote.

"But first thing they did another Xray and the battery was sliding down again into her intestines. So at that point there's very little risk. Maggie was discharged right after breakfast.

"I was not planning to share this on Facebook. But multiple times the doctors told us how good it was that we gave her that honey right away. Because it coats the battery and keeps it from getting stuck."

READ MORE: Sydney mum's heartfelt warning to parents of toddlers and babies

Maggie spent the night in hospital after swallowing a button battery. (Facebook)

However, despite the family's story, Australian parents have been warned against giving honey to children who have swallowed or ingested a battery.

The National Poisons Information Centre and the advice from the ACCC Product Safety Australia is to not "let the child eat or drink and do not induce vomiting" CC which includes honey.

According to the ACCC one child per month is seriously injured from swallowing or ingesting button batteries. As a result, some children can sustain lifelong injuries and some cases of battery ingestion can be fatal.

READ MORE: Angry diner sparks fiery debate over kids in 'expensive restaurants'

Honey can apparently coat the battery and prevent it from burning internal organs if ingested, however, this is not recommended by any Australian authorities. (Facebook)

If swallowed, button batteries can burn oesophagus, stomach, lungs, larynx or bowel. They are also choking hazards due to their small size.

As of the 22nd of June 2022, the ACCC has implemented "world-first standards."

"Products must have secure battery compartments to prevent children accessing the batteries. Button batteries must be supplied in child-resistant packaging. Products and batteries must have additional warnings and emergency advice on the batteries, packaging and instructions."

Symptoms of battery ingestion may include noisy breathing, chest pain, problems swallowing, drooling and vomiting blood.

If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, call an ambulance (000 in Australia) or go to your nearest hospital emergency department immediately.

Kids' homework questions that stump adults

Auto news:?Shock new reason behind car delays - drive.com.au