ChicMe WW

Warnings as dangerous 'one chip challenge' sends kids to hospital with stomach pains

By Georgia Weir|

Teenagers love an internet trend. Years ago, they were engaging in the cinnamon and ice bucket challenges, which were relatively harmless.

However, in an ever-growing bid for more views and the chance of going viral, some TikTok challenges are reaching a new level of danger.

The latest fad is the 'one chip challenge', in which you are challenged to eat a single Paqui chip made with the Carolina Reaper Pepper and Scorpion Pepper. Then you must wait as long as possible before eating or drinking anything else.

READ MORE: The $20 item hailed a 'game-changer' for families on flights

Paqui claims to be the world's hottest chip.
Paqui claims to be the world's hottest chip. (TikTok)

However, the challenge has proved to be dangerous after one TikToker's niece ended up in the hospital after eating the Paqui chip.?

Angela Trujillo filmed her niece eating the chip and then subsequently ending up in hospital clutching her stomach. The video was then posted to TikTok and garnered over 10 million views.

It is believed Paqui, the chip manufacturer, started the challenge themselves.

In a later video, the TikToker's niece explains she had been bet $50 to eat the chip. Afterwards, the burning sensation increased and pushed her to tears.

She was eventually taken to the hospital, where she was treated with medication to ease her intense stomach pains.

READ MORE: Why Mum regrets her alternative spelling of son's 'biblical' name

After eating the Paqui chip, Angela's niece had to go to hospital with intense stomach pains. (TikTok)

The challenge has had serious consequences for a number of people. A quick scroll through the #OneChipChallenge hashtag on TikTok shows user after user in severe pain, tears or being hospitalised after eating the chip.

READ MORE: Mum in stitches over 'dreamcatcher' made from everyday item

While Paqui has put an obligatory warning on their website, it is still being encouraged as a challenge for kids and teens.?

In response to the health concerns the challenge is causing, school districts in the US have banned the chip from schools.

"We encourage our parents and guardians to speak with their children about the dangers of participating in this and other potentially harmful internet challenges," one superintendent said in a statement.

Adorable babies and their cats gallery. YouTube user Rina Takei
Adorable toddler and cat make friends with window cleaners

Property News:?Music promoter Michael Coppel sells Toorak home for more than $30 million - domain.com.au